Reconcile Work and Life
Manage Emotion to Enhance Influence
In the 20th century, companies have experienced the transformation from piece rate to business process re-engineering, labor-intensive to high-tech with high added value, and information technology to knowledge management. Therefore, Peter F. Drucker asserted that knowledge is becoming the power of global corporate development. However, in Kevin Thomson's thought, the intellectual capital (knowledge) is just one of the two most important assets of corporate development. The more important one is emotional capital, which comprises emotions, beliefs, feelings and values.
PRESIDENT & COO INTERVIEW
Reconcile Work and Life
Newsletter editors invited me to talk about balancing work and life which is frequently brought up. If you search it on the Internet, you can find feedback shared by many celebrities. Their experiences are valuable but there is no one applicable to every individual. Therefore, reconciling work and life is relied on making proper arrangements according to individual situations.
- FEATURE CLOSE-UP Jinqiao & Kunshan Site Nursing Staff: Consolidate Expertise and Give Attentive Care With the impact of pandemic of COVID-19, the nursing staff as the front line of epidemic prevention guard the health of USI members and enable them to work with peace of mind. Newsletter interviewed the nursing staff of Jinqiao Site and Kunshan Site this time, letting everyone know more about their roles in USI. We also expect that everyone can thank them for their contribution.
- LOHAS FOREVER Be a Quitting Smoking Star According to the statistics from the World Health Organization, 6 million people worldwide die from tobacco hazards each year and one person dies every 5.3 seconds on average. The average lifespan of smokers is shorter by about 15 years. 8 million people will die yearly from diseases caused by smoking by 2030, if we cannot confine tobacco hazards. Smoking has killed 100 million people throughout the 20th century, and it may kill 1 billion people in the 21st century! Therefore, it is very critical to quit smoking to enhance our health for the future!
- FINANCE & LAW A Brief Analysis on How Ordinary Families Invest and Manage Money from Scratch With the currency depreciation, low bank deposit rates, price increases, inflation and other factors affecting our life, especially after suffering from this sudden pandemic in 2020, I believe that many people have realized the importance of savings. Sometimes people are poor not because of their ability, but often they do not know how to invest and manage money.
- ENGLISH CLASSROOM Essential Telephone Skills Do you have any fears or barriers to telephone communication in English? Many people hate or fear to answer English phone calls. They would rather spend time writing emails than spend a little bit time solving the problems. Some people even forget the basic etiquette when answering the English phone call and just response stutteringly or have no idea how to answer it.
- INTELLIGENCE EXPRESS Introduction of Open Source Distributed Storage Technology In the era of big data, the volume of data increases dramatically. For the storage and management of data, market puts forward new requirements constantly. To meet the storage of largescale data, ensure the reliability of data and expand the capacity with the increase of data, the industry has developed many software defined storage systems. About open source projects now, include GlusterFS, Lustre, OpenStack Swift, Ceph, etc. For the supports of block storage, file storage and object storage, and having the ability of horizontal expansion and fault tolerance, Ceph is getting more and more attentions.
- USI NEWS USI NEWS USI (SSE: 601231), a leading electronics designer and manufacturer in the world, announced the launch of its SOM (System on Module) modules for rugged handheld devices and tablet computers. The MS-01 PRO WWAN multi-frequency band wireless System on Module and the MS-01 WiFi wireless System on Module were developed based on USI's experience in designing miniaturized wireless technology modules and rugged mobile wireless terminals. Today, leading brands are fully utilizing these two types of modules in their solutions for various industrial IoT applications.
- CULTURE CLASH Exploring different cultures is one of the most valuable things we can do in our life. However, we may encounter various culture clashes when traveling or working in another country. I listed some contrasts between Eastern and Western work culture. I hope that it will help you confront some corporate cultural differences that you are likely to experience during your work or business trip. Understanding each other's cultural differences is important when we collaborate with partners from different cultures. Simultaneously, this also can help you avoid unnecessary riskies.
- CROSS-STRAIT LITERARY AND ART M Art Center is honored to hold the third solo exhibition for French photographer, Guillaume Hebert. The exhibition presents two series of works, Updated Landscape in 2017 and Beyond the Ordinary in 2019. In this period of time, Hebert's unique perspective and advanced discernment can hopefully arouse people's reflection and resonance.
- OFFICE CHAT ROOM In early 2020, as the epidemic of COVID-19 began to outbreak, the whole world was severely impacted. The responsive policies and deterrent measures taken by governments of countries. The normal operations of all enterprises are disrupted, so that they must make a lot of adjustments and adaptation on business plans, operations and working methods. Faced with the severe challenge brought about by this pandemic, enterprises need employees' commitment more than ever to survive this tough time together.
- PHOTO GALLERY Here is a nice place to watch the sunrise and relax. Ascending a height to enjoy a distant view, you can enjoy the amazing sea view and comfortable sea breeze after driving passing Kenting Street for about 30 minutes.
- USI(SZ) 20th ANNIVERSARY In 1999, the executives of USI selected Shenzhen as USI's first foothold in mainland China after repeated inspections and evaluations. In March, 2000, VP David Lin (currently Corp. SVP & GM of SZ/KS Site & Global Resources Management) led the team to Shenzhen, rented a three-bedroom apartment in Overseas Chinese Town, Nanshan District, which was full of blooming Bougainvillea, as a temporary office location, and began the intensive preparations, recruitment and decoration of the factory in the early stage of establishing the factory. On July 11th, 2000, USI(SZ) was officially established. USI(SZ) successfully passed the IBM audit within half a year, officially put into production in October, and began to make profits in the first year. USI(SZ) has gone through 20 years from its first show of strength to its perseverance, and finally achieved today's results.