Time Tries All
PRESIDENT & COO INTERVIEW
- FEATURE CLOSE-UP Timmy Shum: Always Be Curious and Enhance Yourself to Create Digital Transformation for All Timmy is from Hong Kong; after he got his degree in Management Information System and Marketing from the University of Wisconsin System, USA, he experienced many different industries. He was once the Global CTO at Jabil, and he was also the Vice President of Infrastructure Operations Asia for the PVH Group (a global large clothing Group). In 2020, Timmy joined USI to work as the Vice President and Chief Information Officer of the Group; he is also the Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer of Asteelflash.
- ENGLISH CLASSROOM 10 Common Chinglish You Should Stop Using I'm so high! How to cost down? He's very peace and social. This year is so drama and so shock. You're so low. Your joke is too over... How often have you heard or said these phrases? Did you realize they're Chinglish? Do you know their correct versions? While these Chinglish may sound funny, they are still unprofessional.
- INTELLIGENCE EXPRESS 5G to B5G Antenna Technologies: Facing Challenge of the Next Generation As 5G mobile devices commercialize, people start to enjoy the convenience brought about by the highspeed communication; moreover, 5G applications start to show their importance in our daily lives. In addition to mobile communication, 5G also realizes high bandwidth, low latency and wide-spread connectivity which enables high-tech applications such as AR/VR, 4K and 8K videos as well as smart factory and medical imaging scenarios that require high volume transfers. Communication technologies employed in 5G differ significantly from those in 4G; and
- CROSS-STRAIT LITERARY AND ART La clef des champs For the past twenty years, the world has become my playground. My children play with the walls, the architecture, or the culture of the places where I paint them.
- USI COVID-19 SPECIAL REPORT Unite with One Heart and One Mind Rain or Shine Since the middle of March, our sites in Mainland China had been running under the closed-loop mode or shut down one after the other due to the Omicron pandemic. During this period, our frontline colleagues were responsible for implementing production practices, while our office support departments were in charge of the daily supply in both of the sites and the quarters. By giving related reports in this Newsletter as a special issue, it's expected that our employees around the world could be aware of their stories during the battle of pandemic prevention and pay tribute to them.
- ASTEELFLASH UNIVERSE Vincent Suo, APAC IT Director since 2006 and based in Suzhou, China, was interviewed for this edition of "A Day in the life of".
- PARTNER FOCUS Asteelflash has four Sites in Germany, and the employees working in Germany are committed to the growth of the company. In this interview, Mr. Caner Goekcin, the General Manager of Asteelflash Germany, shared the ways to build a good team and the key elements to be a good program manager with us.
- PARTNER FOCUS Since 2000, ASE Group has been engaged in industries, like semiconductors, commercial real estate, and electronics assembly under the enterprise brand name of "ASE Group" in China. With a presence across different industries, in particular, in a government-led business environment, the enterprise needs a unit to integrate internal information and play as a communication bridge between the enterprise and the government. Such a unit further shows its importance when our Mainland China sites are under the COVID lock-down. In this issue, we invited Jenny Jiang, the Senior Director of External Liaison Department of China Region of ASE Group, to share with us how this unit operates like an information processor. Our conversation is summarized below:
- CULTURE CLASH Cuisine is a unique culture of each country. It is the solidification of local customs and resident characteristics. That's why it is said that when you go to other country, the local cuisine will deeply impress you. In the previous episodes, colleagues from other sites have introduced the delicacies of their country. This time, we willintroduce Vietnamese cuisine to all international colleagues.
- LIVING‧EATING‧TRAVELING Taiwan is surrounded by the sea, and there are various manifestations of life throughout the year. It also brings a variety of fish products to enrich our taste buds. This time, we will welcome the visit of spring with the seasonally special scenic spot "Laomei Green Reef of North Coast".
- LIVING‧EATING‧TRAVELING I am a new member of USI, recently just joining as the former Advanced Sourcing Manager for mechanical components at Asteelflash. This story I would like to share happened many years ago, but it is still in my memory, and I would love to share this with my new colleagues. This is one of the warmest memories of the many travels that I have experienced. It is appropriate that this occurred in Taiwan, the birthplace of USI. I was in Kaohsiung for a sales meeting with WUS Circuits, a company that I was selling for at that time. It was a weekend day, Sunday, and it was my birthday. The Grand Hotel is located near a very well-known park, Cheng Ching Lake, so I decided to go out for a walk from my hotel to enjoy the area and see some views of Kaohsiung. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed the sights along the way, including the Nine Corners Bridge on the lake.
- OFFICE CHAT ROOM In this ever-changing industrial environment, how do management teams maintain unique insights and leadership? How to lead an enterprise to survive in a rapidly changing market? In this season's management forum, Board of Director of Advantech Chaney Ho shared the important factors in building a successful enterprise - "Corporate Resilience"!
- ESG 360 As the ESG sustainable investing momentum sweeps the world, traditional financial metrics can no longer fully reflect companies' value. With more expectations placed on companies' influence on the environment and society, how to appropriately quantify and monetize environmental and social impacts and publicly report on them has become our current challenge.
- PHOTO GALLERY You can disengage anytime you like, but you can never leave.